Saturday, July 23, 2016

Whimsical DIY Washi Tape Photo Frame




Hello everyone!  Today I have a fun, whimsical, and colorful project.  But, first, you know that there has to be a back story.  LOL.  Back in January I won a contest that Susan K. Weckesser was having on her blog - {my sweet earth}.  I won a bunch of stickers, papers, and embellishments from Fancy Pants Designs, I also got to pick one of Susan's rubber stamp sets (I picked What's Up Gnomey), which she co-brands with Unity Stamp Co., and she also sent me 5 of her new inks that have recently been released by Clearsnap under the Color Box line. I have to say - that was a great box o goodies to win!


I love getting new supplies to play with and, since I love all of Susan's stamps, I could not wait to jump right in.  She has 5 new Color Pop Premium Dye inks  - Kiss (red), Fresh (green), Ice (light blue),  Sky (dark blue), and Cocoa (light brown).  She also has Black, which is a Color Pop Archival ink and White and Gold Color Pop Pigment inks.

I received 5 of the inks - Black (archival), Gold (pigment) and Ice, Fresh, and Kiss (dye). The first thing I noticed (and loved) were the gorgeous bright colors.  The dye inks remind of Ancient Page inks, which are no longer being made but were my favorite back in the day, and were also made by Clearsnap.   I've used these inks on a few projects so far and have ordered the rest of the colors.  I love that they are a small size and easy to travel with or take on the go and the dye inks are perfect to use with a waterbrush. And I love the price point - around $3.50!  I just wish there was a yellow and pink.  Maybe next time!

I wanted to try and only use the colors I received and I also wanted to do something other than a card.  So I dove into my stash of her stamps and pulled out the "A Little Bit Washi" set.  I decided to do a "patchwork washi" photo frame.  

I grabbed a white 5" x 7" photo mat and, starting in one of the corners, I stamped one of the washi tape images with Kiss (red), then a different washi image with Ice (blue), then another washi image with Fresh (green) and then a another washi image with Gold.  

I continued doing this, working my way around the frame, stamping images in the different colors - 


Until I had filled in the whole photo frame.


I loved this "patchwork" feel but wanted it to look stitched.  I had a x-stitch stamp from a Brasilian stamp company called Scraplooving and, using the Black archival ink and a stamp positioner, I stamped where each washi tape meets - to give it a look that they were sewn together.  



The last thing to do was to put it in a frame!


I had a lot of fun making this "home decor" project and hope you enjoyed it also.  Please stop back tomorrow when I unveil the "photo" of my Uncle (who is a Gnome) - for the center of this photo frame.  As always, please leave me a comment if you wish and until next time - 

Hugs from Brasil - 
Michael

17 comments:

  1. This is so lovely...at first I thought it was all paper until I read your blog. If I had gone just by the picture, I would have missed it....thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois. Glad you read the blog. LOL. Hope you get a chance to make one too!

      Delete
  2. Wow Michael! You are a genius! I'm headed out to buy photo mats.. seriously this is FAB! That little x-stitching stamp sealed the deal on it! Love, Love, Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks soooo much Tina. Glad you love this idea. I don't know where they come from but I just run with them. Hope you get to make one and make sure you show me!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Claudia. Hope you make one and make sure you show it to me!!

      Delete
  4. Awesome creation and love the bold colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Glad you love this. And I am all about bright bold colors. LOL

      Delete
  5. This is really great! I love the bright colours with the black. It's fun and unique with the frame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Birgit. I am loving these bright colors too and cannot wait to get the rest of them. Glad you love it too!

      Delete
  6. Your project definitely looks like washi tape sewn together. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying that HJ. That was what I was hoping it would look like and it seems that I achieved it. Glad you like!

      Delete
  7. HELLO MICHAEL: YOUR PROJECT IS FABULOUS, I WISH I HAD MORE WASHI TAPE, I WOULD CASE YOUR FRAME TODAY.
    I DON'T USE WASHI TAPE FOR MY CARDS, I USUALLY JUST USE IT TO HOLD MY CARD STOCK TO THE MISTI, YOU HAVE A LOT OF REALLY BEAUTIFUL TAPES, I THINK I MAYBE NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON SOME.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS ON MY BLOG, IT'S ALWAYS GREAT WHEN YOU VISIT.
    HUGS,
    MARIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria!! Glad you love this project as much as I do. Just so you know, I did not use actual washi tape but a set of rubber stamps that look like washi tape. Great set to have around. But actual washi tape would rock too. I might have to give that a try. Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

      Delete
  8. Dude. I've seen you over on my Instagram. Thanks for sharing at Unity! Terri @wavingmywand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dudette!! LOL I follow you on Instagram. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  9. Love this project and the story of Uncle Simone! You made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Crafty Elves Countdown to Christmas - March 2023 - Christmas Fishes

  Hello everyone.  Believe it or not but I have yet to make a holiday card this year (not counting this post) and I've missed making the...